Wednesday, August 02, 2006

Political inexperience is Ignatieff's Achilles’ heel

I have not been blogging for very long so I haven't had a chance to account for them all. If there is some desire to do so I can make a counter going forward. But, I have to say, the political inexperience of Michael Ignatieff has embodied itself many, many times and it should preclude him from becoming Liberal leader and the more I see of him the more I believe that.

I think it was Calgary Grit who I read a while back making a comment along the lines of we wouldn't let a renowned professor who had never flown become Chief of the Air Staff; or the world's foremost expert in art history become the CEO of a bank so why should we make a man, notwithstanding his other talents, with no political experience and no real experience in public service our Prime Minister?

One past example of why that political inexperience is wrong is here, I agree 100% with what is written.

But notwithstanding any of the above, the comments in today's Toronto Star by candidate Ignatieff were very troublesome and showed no political foresight whatsoever.

He was asked if a turning point came when Israel bombed the Lebanese village of Qana on Sunday, with 54 civilian deaths, 37 of them children.

"It wasn't Qana," replied Ignatieff, formerly head of the Carr Center for Human Rights Policy at Harvard University. "Qana was, frankly, inevitable, in a situation in which you have rocket-launchers within 100 yards of a civilian population. This is the nature of the war that's going on.

"This is the kind of dirty war you're in when you have to do this and I'm not losing sleep about that."
He actually said that. Not only is that callous on any level, but for a candidate for political office to say that is insanity. Thirty-seven kids died, but boys will be boys, shit happens, too bad so sad?

If we Liberals elect Ignatieff as leader I think Mr. Harper will be smiling all the way to a majority that will beat the Dief sweep of '58.

(hat tip Paul Wells)

No comments: